9-10 October in Eindhoven! (registration closed)
The 2023 JePPIX Industry Training is a 2-day on-site event in Eindhoven. The location of the course is the Academisch Genootschap (Parklaan 93, Eindhoven).
This industry training program was developed by extracting key modules from our annual 2-week PIC Design Course which were of particular interest for industry professionals. The program gives a conceptual insight into waveguide photonics, optical modes, interference devices, amplifiers, lasers, and modulators. Use cases for creating and analysing circuits with these combinations of building blocks are discussed, as well as assembly and packaging approaches.
The JePPIX industry training is part of the European Photonics Academy organized by PhotonHub Europe.
Participants are required to bring:
– A laptop with mouse and cable connector. Please note that the Netherlands uses 240V electrical outlets.
– Paper and pen for notes (or keep it digital on your laptop)
– A positive attitude!
As this course edition is at full capacity, it is no longer possible to register.
|Regular participant (standard fee)||700 EUR|
After the course, participants will be familiar with the full-design-flow perspective connecting physical principles to practical designs and layouts used in photonic integrated circuits. They will have acquired the vocabulary to discuss design choices. Moreover, they will have gained an awareness of some of the most important constraints in design due to packaging, design know-how, fabrication tolerances, characterization techniques and materials properties.
Required prior knowledge
Participants are assumed to have a Bachelor, Masters or equivalent industry experience in a scientific or engineering field. They are already familiar with the concepts of waveguides, the properties of light such as amplitude, phase, wavelength and polarization. Additionally, they are familiar with the operating principles of diodes and the concept of electronic bands for describing semiconductor devices. Typical course participants did not follow our 2-week PIC Design Course (yet), or perhaps feel it is too detailed for their objective.
This training program contains four modules:
- Why Indium Phosphide? Application examples (1 hour)
- PIC components (11 hours):
– Passive building blocks (dielectric waveguide basics, 2D confinement, propagation, curved waveguides, junctions, couplers and splitters, MMI couplers, Arrayed Waveguide Gratings) (7 hours)
– Active building blocks (SOAs, lasers, RF components (MZI, EAM, detectors)) (4 hours)
- Characterization (1 hour)
- Standardization and packaging (3 hours)
JePPIX has provided courses for more than fifteen years and continues to offer training events at several levels. Click on the button below to find out more about our training scheme.